Applying for the State Coverage Insurance

Starting August 20th, 2009, UNM Hospitals and the State of New Mexico Human Services Department/ Medical Assistance Division (HSD/MAD) will not be accepting any new SCI applications until further notice. UNMH and HSD/MAD will continue to accept and process SCI recertifications for existing SCI members.

Please be sure to recertify within one year from the beginning date of your most recent eligibility certification letter. Anyone who does not recertify in time will not have an opportunity to enroll again later. Please call UNMH Financial Services at
(505)272-2521 if you have a question about recertification.

Who qualifies for the State Coverage Insurance Program?

The State of New Mexico Human Services Department, Income Support Division decides who is eligible to be enrolled in SCI. Some of the eligibility requirements that need to be met include, but are not limited to:

  • Must be adult, ages 19 through 64, who has not voluntarily dropped health insurance coverage in the past six months

  • Family income falls within 0 to 200% of the Federal Poverty Level

  • Must be a current Bernalillo, Valencia, Torrance, or Sandoval County Resident

  • Must be a U.S. Citizen or Resident Alien for 5 years or more

The UNM Hospitals Patient Financial Services department will assist you in filling out a financial aid form for the State Coverage Insurance program, and help determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the program.

What steps do you need to make a finance aid appointment?

  1. You should call the UNM Hospitals Patient Financial Services at (505) 272-2521 during normal business hours.  Normal business hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, except on holidays.

  2. Patient Financial Services will give you an appointment time and date, and give you directions for how best to get to your appointment location.

What do you need to bring in for your appointment with financial aid?

  1. You need to bring your four (4) most recent consecutive paycheck stubs.
  2. You need to bring a government issued picture ID.  Examples of a Government issued picture ID include a driver's license, military identification card, or a New Mexico identification card.
  3. You need to bring in proof of U.S. citizenship. Examples include your U.S. Passport or your original birth certificate, Certificate of U.S. Citizenship, or Certificate of Naturalization.
  4. You need to bring proof of residency in Bernalillo, Valencia, Torrance, or Sandoval County.  Examples of residency verification include rent receipts, utility bills, property taxes, or a letter from the person whose home the family resides.