Multiple Sclerosis Specialty Clinic
"Reaching out for those in Need"
The MS Specialty Clinic is a University hospital clinic conducted at 900 Camino de Salud which adjoins UNM Hospital. The Clinic serves over 4000 MS patients per year.
In order to serve the many patients requiring specialty care, the MS Specialty Clinic has developed some guidelines and goals to maintain flexibility in providing care to patients as the need it.
MS Clinic Goals
- Assist in the long-term management of MS
- Focus on the most critical issues of proper diagnosis and selection of therapy
MS Clinic Services
- Provide diagnostic evaluation, treatment plan, and establish management services for MS patients
- Coordinate routine long-term care with a patient's primary care or general neurology physician.
- Identify the needs for which further specialized referrals may be necessary
- Refer patients to enroll and participate in new Research drug trials
MS Clinic Appointment Guidelines
- It is essential that you have a primary care physician to provide general healthcare (lab work/ non-MS related problems). Some of your MS care needs to be coordinated with your primary care physician.
- If your insurance plan (HMO) requires it, you need to obtain a referral from your Primary Care Provider (PCP) in order to avoid personal charges for your visit to this clinic. Referrals may be faxed from your PCP to us at 505-272-9427.
- The MS Specialty Clinic will schedule new patient visits upon referral from your primary care or general neurology physician. An Initial contact may be made with referring the doctor to evaluate scheduling priorities.
- Patients experiencing urgent health problems directly related to MS may call the clinic at (505)-272-0760. A nurse will assess your condition over the phone and help determine if a visit is necessary.
- A follow-up appointment may be recommended once or twice a year to assess the effectiveness of treatment and provide patients with new information.
Prior Authorization for Tests and Medications
- Please call Kristy Mascareñas at Patient Access, University Hospital at 505-272-5230. Ms. Mascareñas may assist you to obtain prior authorization from your insurance provider for immunomodulatory medications, MRI, Lumbar Puncture, evoked potentials, or other diagnostic tests.
- University Hospital will try to work with you insurance provider to obtain prior authorization for applicable medications, but payment for these drugs and procedures is ultimately your responsibility.
Disability assessment and forms
- The MS Specialty Clinic does not conduct disability assessment. It is recommended that you seek a disability assessment from your primary care physician or evaluation specialist.
- Upon request, the MS Specialty Clinic can provide a letter in support of your disability application describing your diagnosis and treatment plan, as well as a summary of your neurological impairment and exam findings.
Coordination of Care
- Please provide the name and address of your Primary care Provider or other physician requiring information regarding your examination at the time you're your visit. The MS Specialty Clinic physicians will send a letter summarizing your visit. Please allow two weeks for your doctor/doctors to receive this information.
- If you are experiencing an emergency you must go to the nearest emergency room or call 911.
- If you have an urgent matter, during business hours, please call (505)-272-0760 and leave a detailed message for the nurse. We will return your call as soon as possible.
- If your experience an urgent matter during non-business hours, please call the University operator at (505)-272-2111 and ask to speak to the neurologist on call.
- For immediate prescription refills, if the patient uses and outside pharmacy then the patient must contact their pharmacy and the pharmacy needs to fax over a refill request to 505-272-8196 this is the centralized refill process
Clinical Research Trials
At the MS Specialty Clinic we have numerous on-going clinical trials that many MS patients may qualify for. Our doctors will assess if you are eligible for a trial and refer patients to enroll and participate in new drug trials.
*We are currently participating in enrolling Clinical Research Trials. These trails include Multiple Sclerosis, Alzheimer's, Clinically Isolated Syndrome (CIS), and Traumatic Brain Injury. If you would like to see if you qualify and for more information please call at (505)-272-5681. Our clinical trial contact location is Domenici Hall, 1101 Yale NE, Albuquerque, NM 87106.
900 Camino de Salud
Albuquerque, NM 87131
Referral by Primary Care Provider
For Emergencies Call 911
Days / Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm