Michael Gavin, MD
Dr. Michael Gavin is an assistant professor in the Gastroenterology and Hepatology Division at the University of New Mexico. Dr. Michael Gavin is leading the effort to increase colorectal cancer screening in the state of New Mexico. Beginning with outreach to underserved communities that include Native Americans and Hispanic populations, our goal is to work with the primary care physicians to increase awareness and provide access for colorectal cancer screening. Dr. Gavin has served in the past at the New Mexico VA Regional Medical Center and both Lovelace and Presbyterian Health care systems.
- Served previously as Gastroenterology Fellowship Director, Chief of VA Endoscopy
and presently as director of colorectal cancer outreach.
- Past Member, Colorectal Cancer Screening Working Group of the New Mexico Clinical Prevention Initiative
- Recipient, Inflammatory Bowel Disease Preceptorship -awarded by CCFA
- Recipient of the Outstanding Fellow of the Year award
- Recipient of the Teacher of the Year award
- Recipient of the Outstanding Consultant Faculty Award
- Albuquerque Best Physician List (Albuquerque magazine)
- Principal investigator: CDC/ Department of Health Grant to provide colorectal cancer screening services to the uninsured/underinsured of New Mexico.
- Medical School: University of Tennessee Health Science Center
- Residency: Methodist University Hospital (primary teaching
facility, University of Tennessee)
- Fellowship: University of New Mexico
- Colorectal cancer prevention
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease