Carrie Tingley Hospital was originally constructed in 1935 in Truth or Consequences (Hot Springs), New Mexico. This hospital was one of over 4000 projects funded in New Mexico as part of President Roosevelt’s Work Progress Administration (WPA). The focus was the treatment of Infantile Paralysis. As the building neared completion, the number of children with polio and other crippling disease was on the rise. The over 77,000 square foot building served the inpatient, outpatient, and rehabilitative needs of thousands of children.
Carrie Tingley Hospital relocated to Albuquerque, New Mexico in 1981 and would later fall under the governance of the University Of New Mexico Board Of Regents. The original mission of Carrie Tingley continues to guide the excellent care provided by the talented staff of Physicians, Nurses, Therapists, and Orthotic/Prosthetic professionals.
Carrie Tingley Services are now located in two settings. The inpatient unit is located in the Barbara and Bill Richardson Pavilion - University New Mexico Hospital. Outpatient services of Carrie Tingley are provided across the street from the hospital at 1127 University Blvd, NE.